Saturday, April 5, 2014

Transcript

Interview Transcript


Z – Interviewer
W – Interviewee


Z: How long have you been writing in general?
W: Probably since Middle school.
Z: Middle School? How many years has that been exactly?
W: Uhh... Let's see, there's... (mumbling/scat) About seven.
Z: About seven years. When did you start, like, tapping into fantasy?
W: Mmm..Fantasy was most likely in public grade Eight/Nine 'cause that's when I started role playing a lot more.
Z: Makes sense. Makes sense. I started role play a lot more in high school, 'cause that's when I found out about it. Um... What got you into writing? What made you want to write in general?
W: Because I was actually able to express myself when it comes to certain things like... 'cause my writing was actually quite good, 'cause I actually took a writing course in sch- high school. And in school right now.
Z: That's cool, That's cool.
(Off topic: Z: Someone's trying to message me in skype and it's getting pretty annoying.
W: Me too, trust me, boyfriend.
Z: -laughs- It's cool, It's cool. We'll get through it.)
Z: Um.. (Repeat from above, just in case measure.)
W: It's when I really started to role play, and that's when I really started to develop characters and stuff like that.
Z: So is that when you started in fantasy and building characters?
W: Yea, like big time. And then that's how I started my drawing.
Z: Alright, What would you say is the best thing you've written?
W: A lot of big replies I'd have to do with role plays, like my paragraph ones. 'Cause, even though I can't write formal writing. I'm gonna say that right now. Me no good at formal writing, but I can do good at, um- I can do good at, um.. at like, non-formal and narrative or something with anecdotes, -light chuckles while speaking- which I actually know what that is, but uh.. I don't mind that stuff because I can be more freedom; not like those persuasives and stuff, like, there just too, neh.. Like, they're straight jackets to me in a way.
Z: That's pretty cool. It makes sense. I feel the same way about um.. academic writing and all that kind of -
W: Academia!
Z: Academia, Yea. Because it's-
W: Filled with Stupid Jargon.
Z: -laughs- Welcome to Jargon, Welcome to Academia, but um... Yea, I don't like academia and I doubt you would too if you've tapped into the fantasy genre, and it's all about creative writing.
W: Mhmm
Z: Um... Can you tell me any example of what you've written, like... like why you enjoyed it so much... Maybe?
W: -snickers- Uh... Because I can actually escape out of what I can like- like I can escape out of what's happening in my life. Like, if something's bad I can start writing or I can think, but that's when I got obsessive with role play post, 'cause I'd be walking around and my mind would be running role play posts of what I should write and what I shouldn't write and, like, multiple scenarios and what the person would reply to and stuff like that.
Z: That's pretty cool. I'd have some times where I'd run scenarios in my head. Uhm... can you give any examples?
W:-snickers- No.
Z: There's too many to bear.
W: -still giggling, snickering- Yea, and they're not exactly “PG”.
Z: Ah, ok. Um... I mean, even if it's.. even if it's “PG13,” but like, anything on um... say maybe a battle scene or maybe like a walk in the city or something.
(Skip. Inappropriate/Off topic.)
Z: So you already told me that how much you um- the reason why you like fantasy, and you said that the reason was because it pulled you out of reality and put you into... into whatever. (W agrees as Z speaks.) Obviously you don't like reality then. Is there a problem with reality, that makes you want to go to fantasy?
W: Well, because you actually, well, it's magical, because of how it's developed, and like you can do- how it's developed in so many ways, like... How it's so interesting for me is how... -side tracked-
(Off topice: Z: You have your T.V on, don't you.
W: Yea, do you want me to turn it off? -snickering-
Z: Yes please.
W: 'K.)
Z: I need you tell me like, stuff like um... how you felt like when you were writing.
W: Like what I feel when I'm writing is that, you can exp-, it's more about expression and how you can do it like, when I first started to role pl- Fantasy write, like, I didn't give a care about grammar. All grammar nazi's would curl up into a ball and go over to the side and in a corner. Like they.. But now I can write proper dialogue and stuff like that.
Z: So everything was just based off making the story.
W: Yea, and not the actual making sense and stuff.
Z: At any point in time, did any of the stories that you went through, did it ever link to you and maybe some part of your life.
W: No.. No.. Either from like some stuff I heard, and I think I did one based off of Alice in Wonderland.
Z: Is that one of your favorite stories or something?
W: Yea, I liked Alice in Wonderland. It's one of my favorites.
Z: Ok, that's mostly fan-fic, but that's still part of you. Um.. gee, what was I gonna ask?...Characters! How do you develop a character, like, what makes a character your character?
W: Hmm... Through names, by looking online for name generators and looking for a good picture, and just go straight to personality, but I try to skip over personalities. Because- when I do big profiles, because if I don't, If I do, I'll feel like I'd have to be accustomed to it. Cause that's why I can't do fan-based characters, I can only do “OCs” like original characters because they're not structure and that's why- Yea I'm not good with structure.
Z: That's cool, so everything has to be Original character, but um, is there any kind of personality or trait that makes your character Your character, like what makes your character unique?
W: Um.. sometimes most of my characters are stubborn and short tempered and I can be both of those very normally because, cause even teachers and my boyfriend have told me that I can be both, “That you are very- you can be sometimes short tempered and you can be very stubborn.” Even- Especially when I'm sick
Z: That's an interesting aspect because, every writer, every one of their main characters, they always put, or even any one of their characters, they always put a little bit- a part of them into the characters to at least make them interesting to themselves. So, what's important I writing to you, like what part of writing is important to you, like, other than expressing yourself.
W: Making sense.
Z: But you just told me that making sense wasn't that big of a deal, you used to say that it was all about the story.
W: Yea, but it has to be a story, but it has to make sense and... if you want them to read it... we did fairy tales, we did fairy tales from a different perspective, and I did quite well because I did it from another persons perspective. And um... and this fairy tale I wrote, it's funny because I found this online. It was from the Grimm Tales, and I did it from a (inaudible) novelist.
Z: A what novelist?
W: Erotic.
Z: Ok.. so what would happen in this fairy tale of yours? Let's focus on this littler fairy tale that you made.
W: Well it was basically based off of- We had to choose one fairy tale but we had to put it in that person's perspective, and some people put it in a scientist's point of view or like Betty White, or maybe like, a politically correct person's point of view. And I can... I can't do it like Jargon based. I can do more like Free-Willed because.... and euphemisms. Ugh.. -Shudders- Not good, not good. Don't like them.
Z: What don't you like about them.
W: Well it's like slowly taking the band-aid off, but then again there's people who just *Fwoop! (Move too fast.) You just wana get to the point.
Z: Alright, so getting to the point, is that something you do in your writing? You're saying that getting to the point is important at this point.
W: Yea, you want to get to the point because, you want to have complexity in your ideas in there, but you also want simple structure, well not structured, but... Ideas you can understand. For example, Alice in Wonderland. It had a lot of Stru- Confusing ideas. Then they had really easy ones like, the Jaberwokee was going to die because Alice was going to slay it. And then there was, how the author, how the director put like... like quotes from the actual series.
Z: So what about in your writing. Does this key of simplicity follow you in your writing?
W: Yea, I do try to put a good word choice in there, but I try to keep it simple because if it's too confusing then I can't even understand it.
Z: I usually try to use a little bit of simplicity. I always say that simplicity is key. So um... if it's it simple, sometimes it'll make it short, at times.
W: Yea, you have to make it complex ideas in there like to make it longer, or develop ideas in there, like in essays.
(Jumping off topic)
W: What's important to fantasy is that you make it believable, you don't make it sound fake. Like you have a believable aspect to it.
Z: Regardless of the fact that all of the stuff in fantasy is not- It is fake because we don't shoot fire out of our fists.
W: No, but like in Lord of the Rings maybe, they make the fight scenes a little realistic.
Z: Ok, so there's a fine line in fantasy, you're saying.

W: Yea.

No comments:

Post a Comment